Sunday, March 28, 2010

sophistikitchen: roasted brussel sprouts

i know what you're thinking. "no blog post for weeks and you give us brussels sprouts?" well, i promise you that if you give this recipe a try you will eat your words. pun intended ;)


i went to a girlfriend's house the other day and she made these. i, too, was skeptical, but let me tell you-- yum-my. they roast so long that they get dark and crunchy and oh-so-delicioso. the recipe is from the one and only barefoot contessa, so you KNOW it's going to be the most chic and sophisticated preparation of brussels sprouts around. serve alongside a simply grilled chicken breast and a fresh arugula salad--trust me. just trust me.
...bon appetit & happy sophisticating...


ingredients

1 1/2 pounds of brussels sprouts
3 T good olive oil

3/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper (i don't mean to be a snob, but the "freshly ground" really does make a difference)
a little parmesan cheese

directions

preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

cut off the brown ends of the brussels sprouts and pull off any yellow outer leaves. mix them in a bowl with the olive oil, salt and pepper. pour them on a sheet pan and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. shake the pan from time to time to brown the sprouts evenly. sprinkle with more kosher salt, and serve immediately.

1 comment:

cbpaschall said...

Oh fabulous. Brussels sprouts are one of my favorite veg (just planted some in the garden). I am going to try this one out for sure! I do love me a little crispy bacon with my sprouts too :).